Rare have just announced that the first content update for Sea of Thieves will land in May, with a further five coming this year. Called The Hungering Deep, the update will add a new enemy which players will need to find and defeat as part of a unique event.
Two other updates coming this summer will add a new ship, expand the map, add new enemies and mechanics as well as new rewards. The final three will appear before the end of 2018.
Rare have also said they plan to add additional events and mechanics to the game alongside the content drops. They have always planned on expanding the game over time and executive producer Joe Neate had this to say:
“We’ve been listening closely to our community, and we know how keen they are to hear how we plan to grow Sea of Thieves. As we’ve always said, launch is just the start for Sea of Thieves, and we are going to grow and evolve the game with feedback from our community.”
And of course all new content will be provided for free.
For more in depth details watch the developer video or have a look below.
Regular content updates and weekly events
- Content updates will add major new features alongside new items & mechanics, with new goals and rewards.
- Weekly events will introduce new mechanics, or see fun goals for players to achieve in the world.
The Hungering Deep – first content update coming in early May
- The Hungering Deep brings a new AI threat to the world, that crews will have to work together to discover and defeat as part of a unique event. It will also introduce a number of new mechanics that will assist players on this adventure, and there will be unique rewards that players can earn as part of this event.
Five more content updates for 2018
- This summer will see the debut of Cursed Sails, which will include a new ship type, and Forsaken Shores, which will introduce players to a new perilous part of the world to explore. Similar to The Hungering Deep, both of these updates will also include new gameplay mechanics for players, new AI threats to challenge and new unique rewards to claim.
- Content plans will continue to grow and evolve, based on feedback from players. Based on feedback since launch, Rare changed the priorities for both Pets and Ship Captaincy which had been previously announced as things to add in the few months after launch. These are on the backburner for now while things are added to the game in other areas. Expect plans to continue to be fluid but always with the goals listed above as a guiding principle.